Thursday, August 4, 2011

I Want Miz vs. Mysterio

Pictured: Potentially a great in-ring feud
Photo Credit: WWE.com
Rey Mysterio is one of the best workers in the world. This has been repeated and repeated ad nauseam by some folks, including myself, but I really don't feel like he works a bad match ever. Simultaneously, The Miz, I feel, is highly underrated as a worker. He's still got kinks to work out, and he's not perfect, but he can at least hold his own in there with someone who isn't way worse than he is. So, with that in mind, I wasn't surprised when the two had a tremendous match on RAW in the sham tournament finals two weeks ago, and then were the star workers in a solid tag match on RAW this past week. Mind you, last year when Miz was WWE Champion and visited Smackdown he had at least one really good match with Mysterio then too.

I think we've come to the point where we can say that Miz and Mysterio have good in-ring chemistry with each other. That might be a cop out term at worst and an intangible at the very best, but hey, when two guys click in the ring, they click, and they should be featured against each other as much as possible without going into overkill mode (see, Ziggler, Dolph v. Kingston, Kofi). Steamboat and Savage had chemistry. Michaels and Hart did. So did Rocky and Austin. As do Cena and Punk. All of them produced a ton of great matches in WWF/E history, and I feel like the next pairing are Rey and Miz.

The thing is that a prolonged feud between the two will only serve to make Miz stronger and more well-rounded. Miz is already at a point where I think from a character standpoint, he can carry a feud. He needs to go to finishing school in terms of being a complete main event-level worker. That's where Mysterio comes in. He doesn't have bad matches with anyone, and he has a lot of really good habits that translate well into a WWE ring, e.g. his big time bumping, knowledge of how to set up big spots and where in a match to perform spots to pop the crowd.

I also feel like a good worker will learn things from other good workers. Miz has spent a career busting his ass to make sure that he is THE guy WWE goes to when they need a big performance, whether it's representing them in media events, coming through with a big promo, being the best guy in the company at garnering heat through attacking people in out-of-match situations or carrying himself as a WrestleMania main eventer. You can't tell me that he won't be learning things from multiple meetings in the ring from Mysterio and applying them to his own game between the ropes?

I don't know about you, but if I'm in the WWE's front office, I'm probably half-way to a mental home right now because I can't really take the kind of horrors that the writers are reputed to go through then I'm booking a long term, main event-level feud that may or may not involve the Championship belt between Miz and Mysterio. Forget the fact that Mysterio as a sympathetic babyface is one of the most effective characters in the company, and Miz's arrogance actually plays well against someone like Rey. I believe that I'd end up with a string of classic matches that would go down as one of the best in-ring feuds in WWE history. You can call me crazy, but from what I've seen, it would be one of the surest things in WWE right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment