Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Vickie Guerrero Is Totally Not Fat, Pt. 25,193

Pictured: Not Fat
Photo Credit: WWE.com
Monday night, Jerry Lawler was at it with the fat jokes on Vickie Guerrero again. The outcry predictably came from Twitter, and yeah, it was like shouting into the abyss. That wasted breath was made compounded because in a recent interview, she stated the fat jokes didn't bother her:
They really didn’t bother me. Well, I guess they did to an extent, but not to where I was feeling bad about myself. It was who I was. We have beautiful women that work with us, and when I was in the locker room with them and we’re dressing and stuff, I would look at them and be like, ‘Oh, this is ridiculous. I’m going to change.’ I wanted to feel good being a part of their group and to live a lifestyle that was going to be promoted with the WWE. Now when they say the jokes, it’s like, ‘Whatever.’ [laughs] The jokes have helped grow my character to what it is. I just kind of roll with it and leave it behind me when I leave the arena. Again, there's the character and then there's the real person. You can't take what's going on at work personally.
Okay, so she does it for the character. I get it, it doesn't offend her much any more. The fact that she's feels an inkling of intimidation or shame is bad, but let's pretend that the shame is negligible. She's not offended by fat-shaming.

Well, I am, and I'm not the only one.

See, like Vickie Guerrero, I lost a shitpile of weight over the last year or so. I started out my journey at 336 lbs. I'm down to 265 lbs. It took a lot of work. The fact that Vickie lost all that weight, and quite frankly looks AMAZING, is a testament of will and should be commended. Instead, an old pervert calls her fat in order for her to gain heel heat. The fact that she's NOT fat is not only insulting to her, but it's insulting to our intelligence.

And in case you haven't noticed, Vickie can garner heel heat just by opening her mouth. She doesn't need to be fat-shamed. And if Vickie truly isn't offended by the fat jokes, she should be. Again, she worked hard. Fifty-two pounds is no joke. To allow Lawler (or really, Vince McMahon since the order probably comes from him) to call her fat belittles all the work she did to take the weight off.

It's especially asinine now that WWE is involved in this anti-bullying campaign. The face is the bully, and a woman who took off all that weight is now portraying the message that it's okay to insult people for being fat, even if they aren't. It's stupid.

Remember you can contact TH and ask him questions about wrestling, life or anything else. Please refer to this post for contact information. He always takes questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment