Saturday, July 9, 2011

Expectation vs. Execution: Why Being Spoiled Isn't a Big Deal for Me

So no, I don't think it's unreasonable for fans of Christian's to be so upset over this. A lot of fans, and I mean A LOT of fans, were ecstatic about the new World Heavyweight Champion, and now? Well, that goodwill was either pissed down the drain or it was AT BEST a lateral movement onto Orton.
--Me, 5/11/11

Spoiler alert: I AIN'T CARE BOUT SPOILERS
Photo Credit: WWE.com
That was part of my reaction to the news that Christian had lost his newly-won World Heavyweight Championship to Randy Orton. I was pissed. I wasn't the only one either. The Internet had a collective apoplexy over the decision to re-strap the Viper upon his immediate arrival to Smackdown. Then, the match happened, and you know what? It was one of the best WWE matches, free TV or not, of the year to date. I can't speak for everyone else, but if I watched it live, or if I was kept free of the spoiler, I don't think I would have reacted to it as harshly. Yeah, I would have been disappointed at the result, but at the same time, I can never feel bad after watching great wrestling. What followed has been one of the best angles/feuds in WWE all year long.

It's with that in mind that I went into RAW Monday knowing what would happen between John Cena and Vince McMahon. I read the spoilers. I knew going in that yes, they'd be putting Cena's job on the line a mere eight months after they had used it to no avail the first time. I didn't care though, because I've been pleasantly surprised at the execution of several questionable spoilers over the last couple of years. I think it speaks to the fact that I've evolved as a fan. I also think that a lot of fans have evolved, at least the ones that have stuck around.

I don't think I'm alone in the thought that plot twists are the most important thing. Yeah, I get that surprise is important, although I often wonder the wisdom of swerving on a taped show. That being said, I also think that if you don't want to be spoiled, you should be shielded from spoilers. People who post spoilers on Twitter without any kind of warnings? Yeah, they're fucking cocks. However, it doesn't bother me personally if I've been spoiled anymore because I've become more and more enjoyed by how a thing plays out rather than ZOMG plot development that I didn't see coming.

That's why I really enjoyed the McMahon/Cena confrontation at the end of RAW despite disapproving of them going for the whole "ZOMG FIRED" angle again. The execution was great. Yeah, the direction where they may be going could be bad, but at the same time, why let that get in the way of the performance on screen?

I'm not telling you how to watch wrestling. I'm really not. If spoilers ruin your enjoyment, they ruin your enjoyment, and that's why I try not to post them in public. However, I couldn't care any less than I do know if I know the entire program or not. Just give me a good performance, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment